Amazing Dog Facts and Information
Check out these unusual and interesting dog facts and information! Interesting Dog Stats, or statistics, have also been included in this section. Learn more about the wide subject of dog facts and information. The largest, smallest, oldest and fastest - all amazing dog information and facts found on this page. Interesting information and facts about dog anatomy and development are also included! Have a look at the dog information and facts and then try out the Dog Quiz !!
Interesting Dog Facts - The World Record Breakers!
- The Greyhound is the Fastest Dog on Earth and can run 45 miles per hour for short periods of time
- The Irish Wolfhounds is the largest dog
- The Great Dane is the tallest dog
- The Chihuahua is the smallest dog
- The St. Bernard is the heaviest dog
- The Worlds oldest dog was an Australian cattle-dog named Bluey who lived to the age of 29 years and 5 months!
Amazing Dog Facts - Did you Know...
- Barking Sands Beach, on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, is known for its unusual dry sand that squeaks or "barks like a dog."
- Two dogs survived the sinking of Titanic
- The Great Dane breed of dog originates from Germany!
- At the end of the Beatles' song "A Day in the Life", an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to dogs, was recorded by Paul McCartney for the enjoyment of his Shetland sheepdog
- When a dog bays at the moon, it is following its basic instinct to call the pack together
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible
- Prairie dogs are not dogs - they're a kind of rodent
- The only dog to ever appear in a Shakespearean play was Crab in "The Two Gentlemen of Verona."
- Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they are born and develop their spots as they grow older
- The Poodle's "haircut" was to improve their swimming abilities. The pom-poms were left to keep their joints warm !
Interesting Dog Facts - Dogs and their owners - Some Amazing Facts! Canine Statistics
- There are approximately 68,000,000 dogs owned by people in the United States ranging from mutts, pedigree dogs, exotic dogs and those considered to be cool dogs!
- An American Animal Hospital Association poll showed that 33 percent of dog owners admit that they talk to their dogs on the phone or leave messages on an answering machine while away
- It is estimated that one million dogs in the United States have been named the primary beneficiary in their owner's will
- Approximately 1 in 3 households keep dogs as pets
- 36% of homes have dogs
- 85% of dogs visit an animal doctor in a year
- There are a total of 157 types of dog breeds recognised by the AKC (American Kennel Club). The Pedigree Dogs
- However, there are as many as 800 distinct breeds recognised by various groups world wide
- The Top 5 favourite types of dog breeds in the US are:
- The Labrador Retriever is the Number 1 type of dog breed in the USA, Canada and UK !
- According to a survey done by the American Animal Hospital Association 70% of people sign their pet's name on greeting cards
- Based on a life span of 11 years the average cost of owning a dog is $13,550
Interesting Dog Anatomy Facts - Some Amazing Dog Anatomy Facts!
- A young dog has only 28 milk teeth
- Dogs take between 10 and 30 breaths every minute
- A dog's heart beats between 70 and 120 times a minute, compared with a human heart which beats 70 to 80 times a minute
- A dog's temperature is between 100.2 and 102.8 degrees Fahrenheit
- Dogs do not sweat by salivating. They sweat through the pads of their feet.
- Female dog bites are twice as numerous as male dog bites
- The Chow Chow dog has a black tongue
- A dogs sight is better than that of a human in dim light
- Dogs have a visual range of 250 degrees compared to the human range of 180 degrees
- A dog can hear sounds 250 yards away that most people cannot hear beyond 25 yards
- Dogs have twice as many muscles for moving their ears as people
- The average dog's mouth exerts 150 to 180 pounds of pressure per square inch. Some dogs can apply up to 450 pounds