Amazing Dog Facts - Did you Know...
- Barking Sands Beach, on the Hawaiian island of Kauai, is known for its unusual dry sand that squeaks or "barks like a dog."
- Two dogs survived the sinking of Titanic
- The Great Dane breed of dog originates from Germany!
- At the end of the Beatles' song "A Day in the Life", an ultrasonic whistle, audible only to dogs, was recorded by Paul McCartney for the enjoyment of his Shetland sheepdog
- When a dog bays at the moon, it is following its basic instinct to call the pack together
- Dogs are mentioned 14 times in the Bible
- Prairie dogs are not dogs - they're a kind of rodent
- The only dog to ever appear in a Shakespearean play was Crab in "The Two Gentlemen of Verona."
- Dalmatian puppies are pure white when they are born and develop their spots as they grow older
- The Poodle's "haircut" was to improve their swimming abilities. The pom-poms were left to keep their joints warm !
Interesting Dog Facts - Dogs and their owners - Some Amazing Facts! Canine Statistics
- There are approximately 68,000,000 dogs owned by people in the United States ranging from mutts, pedigree dogs, exotic dogs and those considered to be cool dogs!
- An American Animal Hospital Association poll showed that 33 percent of dog owners admit that they talk to their dogs on the phone or leave messages on an answering machine while away
- It is estimated that one million dogs in the United States have been named the primary beneficiary in their owner's will
- Approximately 1 in 3 households keep dogs as pets
- 36% of homes have dogs
- 85% of dogs visit an animal doctor in a year
- There are a total of 157 types of dog breeds recognised by the AKC (American Kennel Club). The Pedigree Dogs
- However, there are as many as 800 distinct breeds recognised by various groups world wide
- The Top 5 favourite types of dog breeds in the US are:
- The Labrador Retriever is the Number 1 type of dog breed in the USA, Canada and UK !
- According to a survey done by the American Animal Hospital Association 70% of people sign their pet's name on greeting cards
- Based on a life span of 11 years the average cost of owning a dog is $13,550